I’ve just started a podcast. In this post I will outline the steps I took to get started.
People seem to love podcasts and therefore it seems like a viable medium to get your content into the hands of your fans.
A podcast is essentially an ‘audio’ show.
The fact that is is audio makes it a very low technology barrier to entry, you basically need a microphone and a recording device.
Most people have this with their laptop and their phone.
For my particular podcast I chose to make it an audio/visual podcast since I already have the skills to create video. I created a slightly different style of video which relied purely on the audio to make sense, but the video adds additional engagement for people watching.
I took this approach because one of the podcasts I listen to “The Salesman” podcast, also does this. And I originally found that podcast from its videos, and later defaulted to listening to it as an audio stream instead.
- you have the ability to record audio
- you can create an mp3 file
Here are the steps you go through to create a podcast:
- create your mp3 file
- identify a podcast hosting service (I chose PodBean)
- create an account and configure a show on the service
- upload your mp3 file to the hosting service to create an episode
- register your podcast on iTunes
- add your RSS feed from the hosting service to iTunes
- promote your podcast
I will create separate posts to describe the above in more detail, but that’s a high level summary of what I did and my PodCast was live and findable on iTunes within 48 hours.