Do you upload slide decks to the web to expand on your blogging efforts?
You probably should.
Have you noticed how many slide deck images are returned in the Google Image Search?
Have you seen where these come from?
I have been using SlideShare more. Converting blog posts and videos into slide decks. This allows me to:
- re-promote the content as “new” i.e. a new format
- embed the slide deck in the blog post
- embed videos in the slide deck (slideshare supports YouTube embedding)
- adding slide decks to my LinkedIn personal and company page (SlideShare is owned by LinkedIn)
A nice little virtuos cycle of content re-use and redirection of traffic.
Warning SlideShare have removed the ability to ‘reupload’ a slide deck. Previously it was possible to upload a pdf, and then reupload the pdf if information changed or you found a grammar error. But no longer. SlideShare have removed this option.
Now you have to delete, and upload. Which means losing all comments and stats from the previous version.
I’ll probably still upload to SlideShare because people do use it as a search engine and it is indexed by other search engines.
When I want to upload to LinkedIn profiles, I embed the pdf, this gives me more control if I need to amend it.
Now when I want to embed on my Web Site, and have the ability to amend slides. I use SpeakerDeck. Sadly you don’t have clickable links within SpeakerDeck, although you do on SlideShare.
Some people love Scribd, although I didn’t think it rendered certain file sizes particularly well, although I might have a look at that again. I have used this for pdf documents, but not for slides.
I have previously uploaded to Google Drive and shared from there, but I wasn’t as comfortable with that approach I might evaluate it again. I think it also puts the emphasis on “you” to promote so you don’t really gain anything with this.
Why Use These?
- You don’t have to store the pdf on your own servers or web site.
- You can post to as many sites as you want.
- Easy to embed presentations on your site.
- Easy for people to download the pdf version.
- Indexed by search engines.
Do you know any other sites I should be aware of?